A pegboard is typically a large structure that is hung on a wall. It can hold various items in place with the help of fasteners like pins, or the items can be housed in containers affixed to the structure.
DIY Nursery Pegboards
In anticipation of a newborn child’s arrival, expecting parents often expel their excitement and nervous energy by preparing a nursery. This area is usually a relatively large room where the infant will spend the initial period of his or her life. The primary goal shared by most parents is to ensure that the nursery is as safe and comfortable as possible. However, the room can also serve as a place where memories and documentation of the newborn’s development can be on display for all visitors to view. A project that could accomplish that goal is a pegboard.
Benefits of Creating a Nursery Pegboard
Pegboards often prove useful in nurseries because they can be employed for several important purposes. First and foremost, these structures can serve as a go-to item where memories of the baby’s life and development can be shared. However, most pegboards are typically large enough to house other items that might prove pertinent to the infant’s care.
Items A Nursery Pegboard Might Hold
Here are a few things you may want to place on your pegboard:
- Pictures – Few pieces of memorabilia are more valuable or more of a source of pride for new parents than photos. Pictures of all sizes could be affixed to a pegboard. Some parents might choose to post images that capture a newborn’s development through chronological events such as being brought home from the hospital, the baby’s first night in the nursery, one-month birthday, six-month birthday, first year birthday or any other milestones parents deem fit to share.
- Miscellaneous Gifts – Following a baby’s birth, parents often get inundated with small gifts commemorating the occasion. A pegboard serves as a great place to store such items.
- Clothing – Affixing a small wooden box to a pegboard could serve as an extra drawer for a newborn’s clothes. Such items could prove extremely beneficial during late nights when the child requires a changing because he or she has soiled the current wear. Even when the infant’s articles need to be changed under normal circumstances, an easily accessible satellite drawer provides a greater level of convenience.
- Linens – Placing a container housing linens such as towels and washcloths on a pegboard often significantly helps the parents of newborns. Sometimes, these items are buried inside hard-to-reach closets. Moreover, there always seems to be a shortage of such articles when they are needed most. Maintaining a side storage area for these products could save time and frustration when trying to dry an infant off after changing or toweling the baby after bathing him or her.
- Hygiene Products – Affixing a container housing important hygienic products like baby wipes, skin creams and powder, enabling parents not to have to scramble for such products when they are needed, might save parents a great deal of time and effort and ensure their baby remains as healthy and happy as possible.
Related Content: A Complete New Parent’s Essential Shopping Guide
From cribs and strollers to baby monitors and carriers, a new baby requires an extensive list of must-have items before their arrival. For those looking for some guided help, here’s a complete guide of key items and considerations to look into before you begin stocking up on all those essential baby items.