As any mother knows, pregnancy cravings can be awful. Sometimes the things that we hate the most become our favorite comfort foods during pregnancy, or we constantly gravitate toward sugar-filled treats. Unfortunately, ingesting huge amounts of sugar is terrible for our bodies and even worse for babies. Here are a few healthy(-ish) chocolate recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth any day.
Satisfying Pregnancy Cravings with Nutella
- Cut up one medium apple, a few strawberries, and one medium banana.
- Swipe a small amount of chocolate or Nutella on each slice with a knife; then, alternating banana and apple, place each slice on a long skewer.
- Allow a few minutes for the chocolate to cool and harden.
The fruit is an easy way to incorporate vitamins and fiber into your diet while still enjoying a nice sweet snack.
- Start by mixing one cup of oats with a quarter cup of Nutella.
- Add in dried fruit (raisins and dried cranberries work well) and a handful of plain almonds or sunflower seeds.
- Mix everything well and then spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- The oat mixture should be about one inch thick.
- Bake at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes or until the granola mixture is firm when touched with a knife.
- After baking the bars, take the baking sheet out of the oven and turn it upside down onto a cooling rack.
- Allow the granola bars to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting them.
If you want breakfast granola, just allow the bars to cool completely and then crumble them into an airtight container.
- Start with your favorite milk. Coconut and almond are great options, but other milk will work too.
- Pour half a cup into a blender, along with one banana, chia seeds, a scoop of protein powder, and two tablespoons of Nutella.
- Blend well with one cup of ice, and enjoy your tasty pump-up snack.
You’ve probably had classic ants on a log, maybe long ago as a child. This is a new and fun spin on the old favorite though.
- Rinse and cut two long celery stalks into thirds.
- Spread a little peanut butter and a swipe of your favorite Nutella spread on each.
- Top with almonds, raisins, dried cranberries, coconut or whatever sounds good to you.
As a bonus, you can easily serve these as a snack if you already have kids.
- Start with a quarter cup of popcorn kernels.
- Pour them into a microwave-safe bag (a brown lunch bag is best) and pop until popping sounds are heard three to five seconds apart.
- Pour your popcorn into a bowl and drizzle a little chocolate and Nutella over the top.
- Toss with a spoon until each piece is coated.
- If you like a salty-sweet combination, sprinkle one half of a teaspoon of salt over it and stir again.
Now you have an easy movie night (or any night) chocolate-y snack.
Related Content: Urinary Tract Infections During Pregnancy: What You Need To Know
Having urinary tract infections is never a good experience, but during pregnancy, it can be a particularly uncomfortable and unhealthy experience. During pregnancy, this can be slightly harder to diagnose and treat because the body changes so much.