Do you prefer to use and shop for products that are made from natural, organic and eco-friendly materials? If so, you will likely want to do the same when it comes to your baby. For some parents, it is important to find items that are free of toxins and certain chemicals or are sustainable products. There are plenty of exciting “green” or eco-friendly options and gifts that you can add to your baby registry.
Here are a few sample registry features for eco-friendly baby gear:
You have a few different options if you are looking to register for green diaper choices:
- Cloth Diapers – Many parents who are looking for an eco-friendly choice love the idea of cloth diapering. This is where you would use reusable, washable diapers for your little one, instead of the common disposable diapers. Cloth diapers can sound quite intimidating, but today’s brands have made them very user friendly. They even have adorable designs for boys and girls!
- Organic Cotton Wipes- Along with cloth diapers, you may also want to use organic cotton wipes that can be reused and washed. They are free of chemicals and dyes. You will just want to make sure to keep them wet or wet them right before using them to wipe up any messes.
- Eco Friendly Diapers- If you are not looking to embark on the cloth diaper adventure, there are a few brands that make eco-friendly, chemical free diapers. You can even find brands that are compostable.
Your baby’s nursery is where you will both likely be spending most of your time within the first few months, so making it a room that you are proud of is important.
- Baby Mattress – Your baby will be sleeping on this mattress for quite some time, you can register for an organic cotton mattress to help keep them cozy. Most crib mattresses offer a two for one, where one side is firm for infant stage and the other is slightly softer for toddlerhood.
- Organic Cotton Sheets – You will want to register for at least two to four sheets for your baby’s crib and possibly pack and play. This will help to have back ups on hand for when the occasional spit up or diaper disaster occurs.
- Organic Cotton Swaddles – During your baby’s first few months, you will likely swaddle them before they go to sleep. Having a few organic cotton swaddles on hand will ensure that your baby is snuggled up to an environmentally friendly cloth.
Out and About
You may not know, but there are brands that make eco-friendly and toxin free travel gear for babies. Here are a few things that you can look for:
- Stroller – A stroller is a big ticket item that you will get a lot of use out of. There are brands out there, such as Bumbleride, that use 100 percent recycled PET to build their strollers.
- Baby Carrier – A baby carrier is something that you can pop your infant in and have two free hands to get things done with. It is also a great way to bond with your little one. You can find baby carriers that are made for eco-conscious parents that are both comfortable and stylish.
While your newborn will not need many toys to begin with, you may want to add some to your registry for once they become a bit more active. You can find toys that are made from wood, silicone, recycled plastic, and organic cotton.
Here are a few green items that you can add to your baby registry for bottle feeding and nursing:
- Glass Bottles – A glass bottle is a great way to stay eco-friendly. There are brands that make baby bottles with glass that is made to withstand the temperature changes without worrying about a break.
- Bamboo Nursing Pads – Instead of buying the cotton disposable nursing pads, why not register for reusable cotton or bamboo nursing pads. They are not only more comfortable against your skin, but machine washable.
- Burp Cloth – You can find burp cloths made from organic soy and cotton fibers. You will want to register for a good stash, as you may be going through them easily within the first few months.
- Bamboo and Silicone Utensils – Another eco-friendly item that you can register for is bamboo or silicone utensils for when baby will begin to eat solids. You can find stylish designs that you and your little one will love.
You have plenty of options from glass bottles, cloth diapers, and wooden toys to maintain an eco-friendly and green lifestyle. When it comes to your registry, it is always better to err on the side of over registering than under registering. This will help give others plenty of options to choose from for you and your baby.
Related Content: A Complete New Parent’s Essential Shopping Guide
From cribs and strollers to baby monitors and carriers, a new baby requires an extensive list of must-have items before their arrival. For those looking for some guided help, here’s a complete guide of key items and considerations to look into before you begin stocking up on all those essential baby items.