Pregnancy can be exhausting and uncomfortable. At times it feels like you’re going to be pregnant forever, and all you want to do is meet your baby. Here are some ways to enjoy this special time in your life.
The Best Tips for Expectant Mothers
- Use It as an Excuse to Kick Your Feet Up – Let other people do the heavy lifting for nine months.
- Enjoy Your Pregnancy Hair – Pregnancy hormones and prenatal vitamins will have your hair thick and shining. Splurge on a haircut or blowout.
- Revel in Your Belly – This is the one time in your life that you won’t mind getting big and round. Bask in your new body.
- Give In to the Cravings – There’s something about a pregnancy craving that makes food taste incredible! Don’t hesitate to occasionally give in to that hot fudge sundae craving.
- Go on a Shopping Spree – Rather than squeezing uncomfortably into your jeans, go on a shopping spree and buy yourself some nice maternity clothes.
- Think About Names – There’s nothing more exciting than naming a brand-new human being. Make lists, research meanings and create polls. Have fun with the process.
- Make a Creative Pregnancy or Birth Announcement – Find a fun way to tell everyone you’re expecting. Here’s a list of creative pregnancy announcements to give you some ideas.
- Treat Yourself to a Day at the Spa – Some treatments aren’t safe for pregnancy, but a gentle body scrub or facial is fine. Let someone pamper you so that you can stay relaxed and calm.
- Decorate the Nursery – The nursery is a great topic to focus on when it feels like your pregnancy is never-ending. Look at paint samples, furniture, crib sheets and curtains— the possibilities are endless.
- Write Letters to Your Baby – Write down how it feels to be carrying and growing your baby. Let him or her know how much you already love him or her. You can give your baby the letters someday, when he or she is older.
- Have a Maternity Shoot – Capture this once-in-a-lifetime period in photos.
- Make Some Mom Friends – Find some other people who are in the same boat. It’s more fun when you have someone to share it with.
- Get a Foot Rub – Make your significant other rub your feet. There’s nothing in this world that feels better than a pregnant foot rub.
- Take Advantage of the Clichés – Do it because—let’s be honest—they exist for a reason. You’re tired, hungry and scatterbrained. Give yourself a break and lean into it.
- Enjoy the Attention – Mothers will love asking you about your experience. Let them treat you like the magical, ethereal being you are.
- Find a Fun Costume – If you’re pregnant over Halloween, be creative with your costume. Consider being something fun like a gum-ball machine or a fried egg.
- Feel Those Kicks – It’s hard to wrap your head around the fact that your baby is in there, but the kicks help.
- Get a Pedicure – At some point, you won’t be able to reach your feet anymore. Let someone else take care of your toes so they look cute even if they’re swollen.
- Get a Prenatal Massage – Why not get a relaxing massage and help make your growing, sore body feel pampered!
- Make a Registry – If you need something to focus on, build a gift registry. There are thousands of baby products to choose from, so this will keep you busy for a while.
- Be Healthy – This is a perfect time to make new habits. It’s easier when you know you’re doing it for your baby.
- Take a Hospital Tour – When you’re approaching your due date, touring your hospital is a great way to prepare and make it all seem real.
- Go Swimming – If you’re feeling achy and sore, you’ll love the weightless feeling of floating in the water.
- Laugh at Yourself – Pregnancy is weird. Laugh at all the strange and embarrassing moments. You’ll be nostalgic for them one day.
- Go for Walks – Take a long, slow walk. Enjoy the quiet time.
- Buy Baby Clothes – Bring someone along with you to squeal over how tiny and cute they are.
- Celebrate With a Mocktail Party – Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean you can’t have fun— you just can’t drink. Make some special non-alcoholic drinks.
- Knit Something – If you know how to knit, keep yourself busy by handcrafting a blanket or hat to use as your baby’s first gift from mama.
- Go on a Babymoon – Spend some last one-on-one time with your significant other.
- Enjoy Some Alone Time – This is the last time you’ll have any for a while.
Related Content: A Complete New Parent’s Essential Shopping Guide
From cribs and strollers to baby monitors and carriers, a new baby requires an extensive list of must-have items before their arrival. For those looking for some guided help, here’s a complete guide of key items and considerations to look into before you begin stocking up on all those essential baby items.